ABOUT SPECTRUM DANCE THEATER
About Spectrum Dance Theater
Spectrum Dance Theater (SDT) was founded in 1982 to bring dance of the highest merit to a diverse audience composed of people from different social, cultural, ethnic and economic backgrounds. Our principal objective is to make the art form of dance accessible through contemporary dance performances and high-quality training in a variety of dance styles.
Under Donald Byrd’s visionary artistic leadership since 2002, the organization has embarked on an exhilarating transformation that has attracted world-class dancers, produced some of the most ambitious works in contemporary dance, and generated local and national praise.
- To produce and present contemporary dance of global caliber that challenges expectations and calls forth strong emotions, deep feelings, and thoughtful responses.
- To provide expert dance instruction in diverse dance forms to all.
- To educate the community about dance as an art form and as a social/civic instrument.
- To move dance and the arts from the marginal and ancillary to a central position among community activities.
- To make dance and the arts integral partners in civic dialogue, promoting healthy communities.
- To have dance and the arts be considered part of the solution to the challenges facing our communities.
- That a contemporary dance aesthetic enables dance to convey socially relevant themes.
- Support of creativity, the creative process, and innovation.
- That exposure, education, and training in the performing arts can be a transforming experience for individuals and communities.
- That the arts – live performing arts in particular – are an essential element of healthy communities.
- That promoting arts literacy improves arts accessibility.
- Programming, education, and training that bridges cultures.