PRE-PROFESSIONAL DIVISION (ACADEMY)
The Academy Program is an intensive training program for students ages 14-19 years who are interested in professional careers in dance. The Program’s diverse curriculum of Ballet, Contemporary, Donald Byrd Technique, Introduction to Choreography, Engaging with the Choreography, and World Dance develops well-rounded dancers, provides a rich artistic experience, and delivers the highest level of dance training. The Academy Program opens up many special opportunities for learning, mastery, and artistic development for each and every student. Acceptance to The Academy Program is by audition only, and is based on artistic talent, physical ability, and commitment level.
For younger students (ages 13-16) who wish to prepare for the demands of the Academy Program, the Pre-Academy Program offer the opportunity to train alongside the Academy dancers but with fewer requirements. Acceptance into the Pre-Academy Program is by audition as well. Dancers are expected to participate in the Pre-Academy program for 2 years, however dancers that show exceptional growth after the first year will be considered for the Academy Program.
Students must meet the minimum age requirement by November 1st of the year they audition.
- High-quality, rigorous, and diverse dance instruction and training.
- Opportunities to work directly with Donald Byrd and the Company of Spectrum Dance Theater
- Invitations to attend Company rehearsals.
- Performance opportunities such as the Academy Showcase, Choreography Showcase, All-School Demonstration, Spectrum Dance
- Theater Gala, community presentations, and in productions with the Company of Spectrum Dance Theater.
- Opportunities to learn skills in theater production such as costuming, lighting, and live audio.
- Discounted and/or free tickets to Spectrum Dance Theater Company performances.
The Academy Program is intended to cultivate students pursuing a professional career in dance. Dancers attend 8-11 classes per week (approximately 12-17 hours/week): Minimum of 3 Ballet classes per week, Donald Byrd Contemporary I-II or III-IV, Contemporary Approach to Modern, Introduction to Choreography, and Engaging with Choreography in addition to rehearsals for upcoming performances. The Pre-Academy dancers attend 6-9 classes per week (approximately 10-14 hours/week): Minimum of 3 Ballet classes per week, Donald Byrd Contemporary I-II, and Introduction to Choreography in addition to rehearsals for upcoming performances.
Tuition for the Academy Program is $725 per session; tuition for the Pre-Academy Program is $600 per session. Gift of Dance Scholarship is available for those with financial need. Tuition for the Academy Program is $725 per session; tuition for the Pre-Academy Program is $600 per session. This covers all classes, including those not under the curriculum requirements. Gift of Dance Scholarship is available for those with financial needs. Please contact the School Principal to initiate the scholarship application process.
How to Apply
- Date: Saturday, July 17, 2021 from 2:00 – 5:00 pm
- Location: Spectrum Dance Theater Studios (800 Lake Washington Blvd, Seattle, WA 98122)
- What to Expect: The audition will include a ballet class, learning Academy repertoire, and improvisation. There will be time at the end of the audition for a Q+A session with the School Director and Academy Coordinator.
- What to Wear: Students should wear proper ballet attire for their audition. For female-identifying dancers: black leotard, pink convertible tights, and ballet shoes. Dancers of color have the option of wearing flesh-tone tights and shoes. For male-identifying dancers: white or black shirt, black convertible tights, and black ballet shoes.
- Application: Applications are due Friday, July 16th at 11:59 pm. If students are auditioning by video, they need to include a video link in their application (YouTube and Vimeo preferred, no passwords).
- Application Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/
d/e/ 1FAIpQLSd9u1uhNiwfr7ViikaLBlq3 _TwfUChXqV2Nngv7W-ybVOLItA/ viewform?usp=sf_link
- Video Audition Requirements: Video auditions should include a short ballet barre (plies, tendus, dégage, ronde de jambe, battement), a short ballet centre (adagio, pirouettes, and petite allegro if space/flooring allow), and 30-60 seconds of improvisational movement. If the student has trained in other dance techniques (modern, jazz, tap, etc.), and/or has performance footage, they may include it after the improv section (please limit each additional clip to 30 seconds). The student should be clearly seen in all clips. Please upload your video to either YouTube or Vimeo, and double-check that the link is not password protected.
- Questions? Please contact Academy Coordinator Mary Sigward (firstname.lastname@example.org) and School Director Stephanie Guiland (email@example.com).