DONALD BYRD WORKSHOP + COMPANY AUDITIONS
THE DONALD BYRD WORKSHOP
Monday, July 15 – Friday, July 19 and Monday, July 22 – Friday, July 26*
*If registering for only one week, it must be the first week.
11:30am – 4:30pm
11:30am – 1:30pm: Byrd Technique
2:00 pm – 4:30 pm: Process (Week 1) or Repertory (Week 2)
About The Donald Byrd Workshop
Donald Byrd’s movement language places equal emphasis on several elements – clarity of line, rhythmic accuracy and force, physical and emotional weight, a balance of usage between the upper and lower halves of the body, and transitioning with ease from moving standing to moving on the floor.
The workshop comprises a 2-hour technique class followed by 2.5-hours of process/repertory. Technique classes focus on Mr. Byrd’s movement aesthetics and emphasize a relaxed, strong, and flexible torso with highly articulated feet and legs, and increasing rhythmic and spatial exactness. With this focus, the dancer becomes more efficient in the management of energy and more able to control the visual, emotional, and physical impact of their body moving.
Mr. Byrd’s choreography is characterized by its speed and abundance of movement information. The afternoon session is structured to allow the dancer, through repertory or compositional process, to gain skills and experience managing these demanding elements.
SPECTRUM COMPANY AUDITIONS
NEW YORK CITY
- Date: Saturday, June 8
- Time: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm (Check-in begins at 12:30 pm)
Location: Pearl Studios NYC, 500 8th Avenue, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10018
- Schedule: No warm-up will be provided, please come prepared to dance.
- Registration: To register for the New York City company audition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your headshot and resume. Please also bring a printed copy of your resume and headshot to the audition.
- Audition Fee: None.
- Date: Saturday, July 27*
- *Dancers are encouraged to attend the Donald Byrd Workshop that leads into this audition.
- Time: Noon
- Location: Spectrum Dance Theater, 800 Lake Washington Blvd., Seattle, WA 98122
- Schedule: The audition will include a barre followed by Byrd technique/repertoire.
- Registration: Please register for the Seattle company audition by emailing email@example.com and include a copy of your headshot and resume. Please also bring a printed copy of your resume and headshot to the audition.
- Audition Fee: None.