Our Work In the Community
Spectrum’s Community Extension Programs provide dance classes, access, education and services that contribute to the health and wellbeing of the community at large.
The mission of Spectrum Dance Theater’s outreach programs is to educate the community about dance as an art form and as a social/civic instrument.
• Dance for Parkinson’s are dance classes specially designed for people living with Parkinson’s Disease. Working with professional dancers trained in the Dance for PD method, participants are inspired to explore movement and music in ways that are refreshing, enjoyable, and stimulating. Whether seated or standing, people with Parkinson’s Disease, caregivers, and friends will enjoy this creative and welcoming environment.
• Discussions on social/civic issues: Donald Byrd’s work with the Spectrum Dance Theater Company often touches on social/civic issues such as war, race, the role of government, etc. We strive to offer outlets for discussion around these social/civic issues through various lectures, discussions, and talk-backs.
Other Programs Include:
• In-School Programs (One Day or Year-Long)
• After-School Programs (One Day or Year-Long)
• Dance Field Trips: Come to our studio for workshops and/or lecture demonstrations with our professional company.
For more information about these programs, contact us directly 206-325-4161.